Most strata schemes have by-laws governing noise and the behaviour of visitors. Owners and must be considerate of neighbours, and respectful of the right of everyone to enjoy their own homes without disturbance. You should also ensure that your visitors do not disturb others, especially when, for example, you hold a party. Common noise problems range from music played too loudly (including subwoofers, which emit low-frequency sound and cause vibration), to loud conversation usually due to drinking, poor parenting, the barking of dogs, slammed doors, noisy wooden floors, and renovations. Mechanical noise Washing machines, dryers, and exercise equipment such as treadmills, can sometimes can annoyances for neighbours sharing walls or floors. Placing these on vibration isolators, which absorb some of the machine's activity, can help reduce noise. Disputes and their resolution The best answer to resolving noise from neighbours is to first talk to them. If you are angry, before speaking to them you will need to cool down and collect your thoughts – because the worst possible thing is picking a fight with neighbours! Remember, you have to live next to them, and an escalating conflict can be the cause of far deeper and prolonged stress than the incident which caused it. So, your approach should always be calm, rational, and polite. Most people are reasonable. It often happens that offenders are completely unaware of how distressing their noise is, and welcome being told so they can moderate their behaviour. If you suspect the noise is due to drinking, you may wish to consider postponing your visit until the following day when the offenders can soberly comprehend what you have to say. In cases of exceptional noise the offenders should always be contacted to ensure they understand it is unacceptable, and lest it set a precedent. When noise continues If your first or second approach doesn’t work, or you feel intimidated, you have two choices. You can ask the owners corporation to issue them with a breach notice. Or you can apply for mediation through the relevant government authority in your state or territory. Because noise is such a subjective matter, it can be difficult to prove that someone is truly disturbing others. If the noise is regular, keeping a diary of incidents, and even recording some of them with a mobile phone’s audio or video app can help provide helpful evidence. Also keep a copy of any correspondence you have regarding the issue. Ref: Strata Community Aust

Was this article helpful?
Can't Find what you're looking for? Contact Us